VanConas to Participate in ‘Trusts 101’ Seminar in Santa Barbara
October 13, 2014
A to Z Law’s Kendall VanConas will participate in a seminar for the National Business Institute on Oct. 20 in Santa Barbara focusing on trusts. “Trusts 101” will run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:40 p.m. at the Canary Hotel Santa Barbara, 31 West Carrillo St.
Designed for attorneys, paralegals, accountants, trust officers, financial planners and estate planners, VanConas, who specializes in conservatorship and elder law for A to Z Law, will provide attendees with a comprehensive overview of the wide variety of trusts available. Joining her will be Robert England of the Ventura law firm of Ferguson, Case Orr Paterson, LLP.
- Determining what role the settlor will play by weighing the pros and cons of establishing an irrevocable trust over a revocable trust.
- Learning what not to do when selecting and drafting a revocable trust to avoid common mistakes.
- Learning how to choose the most beneficial vehicle for preserving your client’s wealth: understand the purpose behind the various types of irrevocable trusts.
- Exploring the powers and duties of personal representatives in irrevocable trusts.
- Saving money on taxes with effective use of defective trusts.
- Learning why it’s important to know when to file the tax return for grantor trusts.
- Determining whether a client qualifies as a beneficiary of a special needs trust.
- Modifying sample trust documents and using drafting tips to create airtight trusts.
The course costs $359 and is approved for 6.75 units in the area of Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law by the California Board of Legal Specialization. For more information, visit www.nbi-sems.com.